Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Dinner conversations with my kids!

Dinner time always seems to bring about the best conversations with my kids including the past few nights!

Last night, I learned how an 11 year old boy's mind works. We were talking about setting the alarm clock for the morning. My daughter is the first up and first to leave for school. My son gets up an hour earlier than he has too which we don't understand!

"Yeah, why do you get up so early? You don't have to go to school as early as I do!" she asked her brother.

"I don't know." he answered (which really means I get up early so that I can stagger into the kitchen first thing and have breakfast, get dressed, have an hour of peace on the computer without my sister trying to kick me off, play with the cat & finally watch my favorite cartoon all before going to school)!

"What time is your alarm set for?" I asked him.

"6:52" was his answer.

Now my daughter & I start to tease him and question how he came about this exact time. "6:52? Why not 6:51 or 6:53?"

I swear this was his answer.....

"If I set my alarm to 6:53, I'm afraid it's "2" late & I'm going to oversleep. If I set it to 6:51, that's "2" early. 6:52 seems "2" be the right time "2" get up!"

-------------------------------

Tonight I was lighting the small candle I keep on our table tonight & noticed my daughter's moon sand right next to the flame (moon sand is the newest kid fad & is basically sand that can be molded into shapes like playdough, but turns back to sand again).

"I wonder if moon sand explodes?!" I teasingly said out loud to my daughter. My way of asking her to put it away!

"What? No!" she answered.

"Let's try!"

"No!"

"Well, someone has to be the first to experiment with it and find out!"

"Experiment to learn! Experiment to learn!" my son chimes in (something seems to have sunk in at school!).

"No, no, no! I waited a whole year to get my own moon sand! I'm not exploding it!" she tells him.

His answer.........

"Sacrifice! Sacrifice! Sacrifice!"

Little brothers!

3 comments:

  1. I'm not sure I want to know how an 11 year old boy's mind works :-).~Mary

    little brothers....hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your kids always bring a smile to my face. Sacrifice indeed, little does he know sisters often do. Or does she? Somehow I think your kids get along better than the norm. (Hugs)Indigo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, 6:52 makes good sense to me. If I set the alarm for an even quarter hour, I'm more tempted to hit the snooze. If it's an odd number, it catches my attention(like 6:52) and I have to think about it and stay awake!

    I love your kids' logic!

    :) Leigh

    ReplyDelete